Syracuse men’s basketball roundtable: Looking back at the season’s 1/3 mark

first_imgWas Frank Howard’s absence the only thing preventing Syracuse from being a Top 25 team all year?B.H: If Syracuse had beaten UConn, SU may never have fallen out of the poll. With Howard, the Orange would’ve beaten the Huskies, as Jalen Carey’s early turnovers against previously unseen pressure would’ve been avoided and Syracuse may have defended UConn’s 3-point shooters better. But Howard is a shell of his last-season self so far. He rarely attacks the basket and hasn’t found his 3-point touch. So yes, his absence is the reason Syracuse hasn’t been ranked every week. But he’ll need to get back to last season’s form to keep the Orange in the Top 25.C.D: To a degree, yes. Both Frank Howard and Jalen Carey suffered injuries before the season, and when Carey returned, he still wasn’t 100 percent, nor did he practice much before SU’s losses. Both players not being fully healthy ultimately led to the Orange’s demise from the Top 25. However, Syracuse is a much better team with Howard in as starter. Howard adds a veteran leadership that SU lacked when it was Carey and Battle manning the point. He is the best facilitator and knows the 2-3 zone as well as anyone else. The absence of Howard may have been a contributing factor toward Syracuse’s drop from the Top 25, but it was not the only reason behind it. There’s much more that needs addressing.M.G: There’s a good chance his absence has prevented SU from being Top 25. When he’s on the floor, everything appears to be under control. In a raucous environment at Cameron Indoor last year, for example, he handled the pressure and noise admirably. That presence goes a long way during ACC road play. Syracuse has a lot of time off in the next four weeks and that gives Howard the time he needs to get back to himself. He “didn’t miss a shot” this summer, head coach Jim Boeheim said. While an exaggeration, the point was clear: Howard could be on track to have a stellar senior year. Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments Published on December 11, 2018 at 9:56 pm Almost a third of the way into the season, Syracuse (7-2) is in the midst of a five-game winning streak. The Orange haven’t lost since their two losses in 24 hours at Madison Square Garden last month. There have been positives in the SU backcourt but negatives down low as Syracuse seeks to keep its winning streak alive.Here’s what our beat writers think about three major topics so far.Are Syracuse’s centers its weakest position group?Billy Heyen: Yes. The Orange have two point guards they trust and a number of effective wing players. Syracuse has the ability in the middle to find success: a 7-foot-2 rim protector in Paschal Chukwu, good hands and footwork of Bourama Sidibe, and the playmaking of small-ball center Marek Dolezaj. But it hasn’t come together. When SU has played star centers, like Oregon’s Bol Bol and Georgetown’s Jessie Govan, there hasn’t been much defensive resistance. As Jim Boeheim said, Syracuse needs its centers to be a strong team in the long run. But so far, they’ve been bad.Charlie DiSturco: Yes. Syracuse’s centers have struggled immensely with both scoring, defense and foul discipline. Even Oshae Brissett, a forward, averages 3.4 rebounds per game more than Paschal Chukwu — and Elijah Hughes outrebounds Bourama Sidibe. This group of centers have potential, but they have been unable to stop other talented bigs, like Georgetown’s Jessie Govan Saturday. Every other position group has multiple players that are regular contributors at some capacity. The centers do not.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMatthew Gutierrez: Without question. Aside from the centers’ lack of scoring and defense, they haven’t been great in one area they have complete control of: boxing out. Several times against Georgetown, the centers were caught ball watching. It happened at MSG on repeat and, while they’ve improved, there’s one place the centers can get better real fast. By establishing firm rebounding position, they’ll be less susceptible to second-chance points, which drag on the defense.Has Elijah Hughes lived up to his expectations? B.H: The consensus was that Hughes would bring shooting and instant offense. He has. Especially with Frank Howard still not playing like he was last season, Hughes has been a key third cog with Tyus Battle and Oshae Brissett. There’ve been some games where Hughes is too content to stay outside and shoot, but then just when it seems he’s having an off night, he gets hot. That happened early in the second half against Georgetown, when he hit three 3s in a handful of minutes to get Syracuse right back in the game.C.D: I’d say so. He has joined Oshae Brissett and Tyus Battle as Syracuse’s three-headed monster and has been extremely consistent in close games. He has been the best shooter on the team and even flashes some dominance inside the paint. Aside from tangible skills, Hughes also provides a spark for SU. He made a few big 3s down the stretch and was a big help to Battle as the Orange mounted a comeback. On any given day, Hughes has the potential to be the best player on the floor, something not expected when the season started.M.G: Probably. Hughes’ biggest room for growth: involving others. He’s a capable one-on-one player who has exemplified an ability to knock down big shots, especially from deep. That’s going to be key as the defenses SU faces improve during conference play. He’s created for others only in spurts, so it’s not a matter of if. He can attack off the dribble and suck defenders his way. Syracuse could just use a little more of that.last_img read more

Kompany Leaves Man City to Become Anderlecht Player-Manager

first_imgVincent Kompany has revealed that his moving to Anderlecht as player-manager is the “most passionate yet rational” decision he has made after announcing he has left Manchester City.The 33-year-old has signed a three-year deal with the Belgian club after 11 years at Etihad Stadium, eight of which he spent as club captain.Saturday’s 6-0 FA Cup final win over Watford was Kompany’s final game for City, after winning four Premier League titles, two FA Cups and four League Cups. MANCHESTER, ENGLAND – MAY 06: Vincent Kompany of Manchester City lifts the Premier League Trophy as Manchester City celebrate winning the Premier League Title during the Premier League match between Manchester City and Huddersfield Town at Etihad Stadium on May 6, 2018 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images) In an open letter on Facebook, Belgium defender Kompany said leaving City “doesn’t feel real”.“Countless of times have I imagined this day,” he said. “After all, the end has felt nearby for so many years.“Man City has given me everything. I’ve tried to give back as much as I possibly could.”In a second letter released hours later, Kompany announced his move to Anderlecht, who said his arrival marked the “return of the prince”.“I want to share my knowledge with the next purple generations,” said Kompany, who first joined Anderlecht at the age of six.“With that, I will also put a bit of Manchester in the heart of Belgium.”Centre-back Kompany joined City from Hamburg as a defensive midfielder in 2008 and was named club captain three years later.He scored his final goal against Leicester on 6 May, a brilliant strike from 25 yards that was voted goal of the season on BBC Match of the Day.That victory took City to within one win of the Premier League title, which they sealed on the final day of the season with victory at Brighton.“The time has come for me to go now,” Kompany said.“As overwhelming as it is, I feel nothing but gratefulness. I am grateful to all those who supported me on a special journey, at a very special club.“I remember the first day, as clear as I see the last. I remember the boundless kindness I received from the people of Manchester.“I will never forget how all Man City supporters remained loyal to me in good times and especially bad times. Against the odds, you have always backed me and inspired me to never give up.”City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: “There have been many important contributors to Manchester City’s renaissance, but arguably none are more important than Vincent Kompany.“He defines the essence of the club. For a decade he has been the lifeblood, the soul, and beating heart of a supremely talented squad.“A booming voice in the dressing room yet a quiet and measured ambassador off it, Vincent can be as proud of himself as we are of him.”After the 1-0 win over Leicester – City’s final home game of the season – Kompany was in tears as the team enjoyed a lap of honour.By beating Watford 6-0 at Wembley, City became the first men’s side to complete the domestic treble in England.In September, the club will hold Kompany’s testimonial match, from which he will donate all profits to Manchester’s homeless.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Jamaican businessman convicted of murdering girlfriend and five family members

first_imgA 50-year-old businessman will be sentenced on April 12 after he was found guilty of murdering his girlfriend and five members of her family, including four children, 12 years ago.On Tuesday, Justice Bertram Morrison turned down a request from attorney Carlton Colman that his client, Michael McLean wanted to forego the mitigation hearing and head straight to sentencing.“The court doesn’t operate like that,” the judge said following the unanimous verdict that was handed down in the Home Circuit Court.McLean was found guilty of murdering his former girlfriend Terry-Ann Mohammed; her son, Jessie O’Gilvie; as well as her niece, Patrice Martin-McCool and her children, Lloyd McCool, Jihad McCool and Sean Chin in 2006.Throats slashedFive of the victims’ throats were slashed while the sixth, who was a six-year-old girl, was smothered and buried in a shallow grave.The seven-member jury deliberated for nearly four hours before reaching the unanimous verdict in the trial that lasted five weeks. During the trial, the accused maintained his innocence, claiming that the six people had been killed by gunmen.Claims attacked by gunmenIn his unsworn testimony, he admitted that he left his restaurant on February 25 with Mohammed and Jihad, but claimed when he reached Mohammed’s home he was attacked by gunmen who killed her and forced him to take them to another location where he and Mohammed had reportedly hidden drugs and cash and the men buried the child there in a shallow grave.According to McLean, the gunmen killed Mohammed because they were after one of her relatives who had stolen guns and drugs.One of worst cases prosecutedDirector of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Paula Llewellyn, later described the trial as one of worst cases she has prosecuted in her 30 years on the job.“I think it is a very, very tragic case. It is the sort of case that caused sleepless nights for [the] prosecution [team] and I, and think I can speak for defense counsel, it would have caused him sleepless nights [too],” she added.But she praised the law enforcement and investigators for their work given the fact that “McLean was able to benefit from the fact that [the] system has to make sure that, at all material times, he is given benefit of the doubt.last_img read more