Dear Editor,I have been following the People’s Progressive Party presidential candidate race very closely over the past two months. I have great admiration for the candidates but more so Dr Frank Anthony, whom I believe is very respected. He has been in the PPP for years and has done well at all the party’s congresses in recent years. As such I saw him as a strong contender in the presidential candidate race for the PPP. It is disappointing that Dr Anthony pulled out of the race at the last minute on Saturday morning before the voting started at Freedom House.What went wrong? What made him change his mind? I think Dr Anthony owes PPP supporters like myself an explanation as to why he made such a decision on Saturday.Sincerely,A Grant
…ruled as minor incident – PoliceWhile the Guyana Police Force (GPF) customarily sends out Police releases regarding matters under investigation, including accidents, the lack of information following an accident involving a Government vehicle has prompted enquiries.This publication made contact with several Police officials, including acting Traffic Chief Ramesh Ashram, to ask for an update on the investigation of the accident that occurred last week following the PNCR’s congress, but Ashram could give no update, as he reportedly was “not at work.”He, however, did refer this publication to a senior officer at the Brickdam Police Station; but that official was at first unsure which accident he was being asked about, and its connection to the People’s National Congress (PNC). According toScenes from the smash-up outside the Georgetown Clubthat official, however, the matter is supposed to be investigated.When contacted on Wednesday, Police spokesman Jairam Ramlakhan revealed that there has been no arrest. He did not say who were involved in the accident, but described the matter as “minor”.The accident occurred following a social event held for the delegation of the 20th Biennial Congress of the People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) at the Georgetown Club on Friday evening.Festivities ended in chaos after at least five vehicles belonging to attendees — including the one attached to the Social Cohesion Ministry — became involved in a massive collision outside of the Camp Street, Georgetown venue.Efforts made then to contract Social Cohesion Minister Dr George Norton for a comment on the issue had proved futile. Even then, details were sketchy. However, both Police “A” Division Commander Marlon Chapman and acting Traffic Chief Ramesh Ashram had confirmed the incident. However, while Chapman had noted that he had no information regarding what had transpired, Ashram had disclosed that one State vehicle belonging to the Social Cohesion Ministry had been involved. The Traffic Chief had further explained that the multiple-vehicle collision was deemed minor, as only vehicles were damaged.When this publication spoke to him subsequently, he said he had only been briefed on the accident, and had not received a full report as yet. That was on Saturday.Meanwhile, while unconfirmed, information has surfaced that the accident may have occurred as a result of the PNC/R Congress attendees attempting to drive while inebriated. Several persons were said to be injured. It is unclear whether the Police had administered breathalyser tests on the individuals involved.
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) – Sunni insurgent groups including al-Qaida in Iraq have called for revenge attacks after a second rape allegation against the Shiite-dominated security forces. The second rape allegation to be made in a television interview – an unusual development in Iraq, where the crime is rarely reported or spoken of – is putting more pressure on the Iraqi government, its army and police in their desperate fight against the country’s enduring Sunni insurgency and sectarian violence. The al-Qaida in Iraq leader, Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, also known as Abu Ayyub al-Masri, purportedly called on his followers Thursday to step up attacks on Iraqi security forces to avenge the alleged rapes in Baghdad and the northern town of Tal Afar near the Syrian border. He also claimed in an audio tape that 300 followers have volunteered for suicide missions within hours of hearing news of the alleged rape in Baghdad, which the woman said took place in a police garrison. The authenticity of the tape could not be immediately verified, but the voice sounded like al-Masri’s and it appeared on Web sites commonly used by the militant groups. At least six groups, including al-Qaida in Iraq, have called for revenge since the first rape claim was made on Monday, according to IntelCenter, a U.S. group that tracks extremist messages. The rape allegations by Sunni Arab women, particularly that of a 20-year-old who said she was raped by three policemen last weekend, have angered Sunni politicians, as well as the insurgent groups. The latest rape allegation, made by a 50-year-old woman from Tal Afar, is likely to further undermine the reputation of the Iraqi forces that Washington hopes can soon take over from U.S. and allied forces so they can go home. Sunni Arab politicians opposed to the Shiite-led government have seized on the charges, asserting that they know of hundreds of similar but unpublicized cases. Harith al-Dhari, the head of the hardline Sunni Association of Muslim Scholars, told Iraq’s Al-Sharqiya television that he knew of hundreds of rapes over the past two years. The woman who made the initial allegations was taken to a U.S.-run medical facility Sunday, the day she said she was raped, and released the following day. U.S. military spokesman Maj. Gen. William Caldwell said evidence in the case was being preserved “so that it may be provided to the appropriate Iraqi judicial official in accordance with U.S. policy.” Lt. Col. Christopher Garver, a military spokesman in Baghdad, said Friday the evidence they release depends upon what the Iraqis need for legal proceedings. “The investigation is ongoing. As to how much will be released, it depends on how much there is beyond medical records … and then also how much will become evidence” in any Iraqi legal action, he said. The alleged victim in the latest case, the 50-year-old woman from Tal Afar, appeared on Al-Jazeera to recount her ordeal when her house was raided Feb. 8 by Iraqi soldiers looking for insurgents and arms. She said she was raped when she did not provide the soldiers with information they sought on insurgents in the area and that one of them filmed the alleged attack with a cell phone video camera. Nijm Abdullah, Tal Afar’s mayor, said four soldiers were being accused in the case. He said a fifth soldier suspected something was wrong, rushed into the house and forced the others at gunpoint to stop the assault. He refused to say whether the soldiers were Shiites or Sunnis, saying only that they came from Iraq’s mainly Shiite south. President Jalal Talabani, breaking his silence on the political storm swirling around the rape allegations, has appealed for calm, saying the courts were the only place where such cases should be settled. “Today, we need to trust one another and avoid whatever shakes that trust, stokes sensitivities or fill hearts with malice,” Talabani, a Sunni Kurd, said in a statement issued by his office late Thursday. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Actor-comedian Cheech Marin is donating copies of works from his Mexican-American art collection to some of the nation’s best-known museums and universities. Marin says he will donate 50 sets of high-quality digital prints of his traveling collection “Chicano Visions: American Painters on the Verge.” Marin has been taking his personal Chicano art collection on tour for about five years. Recipients of the digital copies include the Smithsonian, UCLA, the San Antonio Museum of Art. and Marin’s alma mater, California State University, Northridge. – Associated Press British Airways cuts competition British Airways cut a cameo by Richard Branson from its in-flight version of the latest James Bond film and blurred out the tail fin of a Virgin Atlantic plane in the movie. BA’s entertainment team cut a cameo appearance by Branson, chairman of the rival airline Virgin Atlantic, that appears in the original version of “Casino Royale,” a spokesman confirmed Saturday. In the original film, Branson can be seen turning around after walking through a metal detector at Miami Airport. – Associated Press Bana crashes car in rally Australian actor Eric Bana crashed his painstakingly restored 1974 Ford XB Coupe into some trees during an around-the-state rally Saturday but emerged uninjured along with his co-driver. Bana and co-driver Tony Ramunno walked away from the crash during the Targa Tasmania rally, where they had been in 53rd place in the Outright Classic competition. The 38-year-old Bana has starred in movies such as “The Hulk” and “Munich.” – Associated Press 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
“I was active in the community and he told me the only way to get anything done would be to run,” Molinari said. Tafoya and his wife served together on the board of the Crippled Children’s Society of Los Angeles at the same time that Molinari’s parents were actively involved in that organization, he said. He remembered Tafoya as a charismatic, outgoing man who cared deeply about the city and its residents. “We talked about city issues even after he was off the council. He was always articulate and had great ideas for the city,” Molinari said. For more on this story, pick up tomorrow’s Whittier Daily News. 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! MONTEBELLO – Richard Tafoya, the first Latino ever to serve on the Montebello City Council, has died of heart failure, his family announced. Tafoya died Monday, his family said. He was 82. He served on the City Council from 1970 to 1982, and also served as mayor in 1973, 1977 and 1981. Current Mayor Pro Tem Bill Molinari said it was Tafoya who encouraged him to run for the council.
Salah is five goals ahead of Tottenham Hotspur sharpshooter Harry Kane as he seeks to emulate Drogba and finish as the Premier League leading scorer.ENGLANDMOHAMED SALAH (Liverpool)Liverpool’s Egyptian midfielder Mohamed Salah celebrates scoring the winner against Crystal Palace on Saturday © AFP / Glyn KIRKSalah may not have had one of his more eye-catching performances against struggling Crystal Palace but he was on hand to score the winner, producing a delightful first touch to bemuse Mamadou Sakho and fire home his 29th Premier League goal of the campaign, equalling the league record of scoring in 21 matches of a 38-game season.WILFRED NDIDI (Leicester)He could have cost his side dearly when, with the Foxes holding a 1-0 lead at struggling Brighton, he received his marching orders for a second bookable offence with three minutes remaining.The 21-year-old Nigeria midfielder had conceded a penalty for his first yellow card but Glenn Murray’s spot-kick was saved by Kasper Schmeichel and was sent off for fouling Shane Duffy.Leicester scored a second goal with 10 men to win 2-0.PIERRE-EMERICK AUBAMEYANG (Arsenal)The Gabon striker bagged a brace as Arsenal warmed up for a crucial Europa League clash with a 3-0 home victory over Stoke.Arsene Wenger’s side must win the UEFA second-tier competition to qualify for next season’s Champions League, so playing Stoke was all about boosting morale ahead of a visit from CSKA Moscow for a quarter-final first leg this Thursday.Aubameyang, who isn’t eligible to play in Europe for the Gunners, ensured they go into the Moscow tie in good spirits, opening the scoring with a 75th-minute penalty and adding his second with a cool finish in the 86th minute.He now has five goals for Arsenal since his January move from Borussia Dortmund.ITALYJOEL OBI (Torino)Nigerian international Obi came off the bench to score the final goal in a 4-0 win by Torino at Cagliari.The 26-year-old midfielder came on in the 77th minute and scored 10 minutes later off an Andrea Belotti cross as mid-table Torino claimed their ninth win of the season.Obi is targeting a call-up by Nigeria for the World Cup in Russia after being recalled by the ‘Super Eagles’ this month following an almost four-year absence.GERMANYSALIF SANE (Hanover)The Senegalese defender scored his second goal in three games, but was unable to help Hanover avoid a dramatic 3-2 defeat to RB Leipzig.With his side 2-0 down, Sane’s header went in off the post to pull them back into the game and kickstart what might have been a brilliant comeback.Hanover were ultimately heartbroken, however, when a late equaliser was ruled offside.NABY KEITA (RB Leipzig)The 23-year-old Guinean picked up his fifth assist of the season as his side survived a late scare to beat Hanover 3-2.Early in the second half, Keita’s floating cross found Willi Orban, who put Leipzig 2-0 ahead with a powerful header.Though Hanover twice fought back from a two-goal deficit, Keita and Leipzig held on to secure three points and bounce back into the Bundesliga top four.KEVIN-PRINCE BOATENG (Eintracht Frankfurt)The former Ghana international provided a stylish assist in Eintracht Frankfurt’s 2-1 defeat to Werder Bremen.With Frankfurt 1-0 down in the second half, Boateng’s backheeled cross picked out Lukas Jovic, who equalised.It wasn’t enough for Frankfurt, who missed a chance to go fourth after a mistake gave Bremen a late victory.FRANCEGIOVANNI SIO (Montpellier)The 29-year-old Ivory Coast striker grabbed two goals as fifth-place Montpellier defeated Caen 3-1 to keep up his club’s push for a Europa League spot next season.Sio now has 10 Ligue 1 goals this season with his team having lost just once in their last 13 league matches.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Didier Drogba’s eight-year-old record for being the African with the most Premier League goals in a season was equalled Saturday by Liverpool’s Mohamed Dalah © AFP / SIA KAMBOUPARIS, France, Apr 2 – Liverpool star Mohamed Salah equalled the record for goals by an African in an English Premier League season when he scored his 29th in a weekend win at Crystal Palace.The prolific 25-year-old Egyptian attacker matched the mark set by Ivorian Didier Drogba during the 2009-2010 season as he helped Chelsea win the title.
0Shares0000Russian midfielder Pavel Mamaev, pictured June 2016, was detained along with Saint Petersburg forward Alexander Kokorinon due to suspicion of hooliganism, following an incident in a Moscow cafe © AFP/File / MARTIN BUREAUMOSCOW, Russian Federation, Oct 10 – Russian police on Wednesday evening detained disgraced footballer Pavel Mamaev for 48 hours following an unprovoked attack on two government officials, while fellow suspect Alexander Kokorin was being questioned.Krasnodar midfielder Mamaev and Zenit Saint Petersburg forward Kokorin are facing possible five-year jail terms after video footage caught them attacking two Russian trade ministry officials in an upscale Moscow cafe. Premier League chiefs have also requested a lifetime ban for the players.Police said in a statement that Mamaev has been detained as a suspect under criminal investigation.“Pavel Mamaev has been detained according to the criminal code for 48 hours. He is suspected of hooliganism,” police spokeswoman Irina Volk told TASS state news agency.Responding to a police summons, Mamaev had arrived at Moscow’s police’s central investigation department on Wednesday afternoon for questioning.Kokorin then missed a 6 pm deadline as his lawyer said he was unable to get there in time.Police later confirmed he had arrived and was also meeting investigators. Neither player was seen by a crowd of waiting journalists.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsAmong other things, calls won’t get through in some households if phone lines are down, the power is out, the circuits are overloaded or people have call-blocking activated. Even if none of those glitches gets in the way, it can take hours for these systems to plow through lists of phone numbers. Now, some residents are calling for low-tech backup warnings like sirens and bullhorns. SAN DIEGO – Barbara Levine went to sleep Oct. 21 believing she would get an automated phone call from the city’s brand-new emergency notification system if a wildfire raging miles away threatened her home. The call never came – at least not before flames hopscotched into her suburban neighborhood, destroying her house and 372 others. Other homeowners in San Diego’s Rancho Bernardo neighborhood are telling similar stories of computerized warning calls that came too late or not at all. They were awakened by neighbors, the screech of fire engines or by the sound of embers pattering against windowpanes like raindrops. In the aftermath of this fall’s devastating wildfires in Southern California, San Diego’s “reverse 911” system was widely hailed for helping to mobilize the biggest evacuation in state history. But the disaster also exposed serious flaws that can render such systems useless in emergencies. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
firstname.lastname@example.org (818) 713-3664160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2 Although a grainy videotape of the race exists and there are leads in the case, police said they still need more information. “Sadly, the other individual is still driving around,” said City Councilman Dennis Zine, a retired LAPD traffic sergeant. “What we want to do is bring the family closure.” Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call Valley Traffic at (818) 364-1930. Street racing has been a concern in the San Fernando Valley for years. The area’s wide streets lure speeders, said Zine, which is why he is pushing for more motorcycle police to patrol the area. But the number of races has dropped since 2003, when the City Council passed an ordinance allowing police to seize and destroy cars involved in races. Still, excessive speeds have been a problem on Vanowen, Sherman Way and Roscoe boulevards. WEST HILLS – Relatives of a teen killed last month in a fatal collision pleaded today for information about the street race that led to the crash. A $25,000 reward is being offered for information about the other motorist involved in the race that led to the death of Jonathan McGinnis, 19, of Van Nuys. He was killed at 8:45 p.m. May 16, when he lost control of his 1994 Honda del Sol in the 24000 block of Vanowen Street in West Hills. “I’d just like to ask that person to please come forward,” Crystal McGinnis, the victim’s 23-year-old sister said at a news conference near the crash site. “We just want to know what happened.” A photograph and a poem of McGinnis still remains taped to the streetlight near where he died. Pillar candles sit in clusters at the foot of the post.