Mosque president: 5 dead in Quebec shooting

first_imgQUEBEC CITY (AP) — Five people have been killed in a shooting at a Quebec City mosque, the president of the center said Sunday.Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre President Mohamed Yangui reported the number of dead late Sunday in a telephone call from the provincial capital.Yangui said the shooting happened in the men’s section of the mosque. He said five males had died and he worried that some were children. He said he wasn’t at the center when the attack occurred but he got some details from people on the scene.He said an estimated 60-100 people would have been there at the time of the shooting. “We are sad for the families,” he said.Authorities did not confirm the number of fatalities.Quebec City police spokesman Constable Pierre Poirier said two suspects were arrested. Police said the mosque had been evacuated and things were under control.Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau quickly took to social media to express his condolences.“Tonight, Canadians grieve for those killed in a cowardly attack on a mosque in Quebec City. My thoughts are with victims & their families,” Trudeau tweeted.He later said on Twitter that he spoke to Quebec’s premier and was being briefed by officials. The prime minister said the government had offered “any & all assistance needed.”last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *