Call for punishment of those responsible as police violence towards journalists grows

first_imgNews to go further ColombiaAmericas May 13, 2021 Find out more RSF, IFEX-ALC and Media Defence, support FLIP and journalist Diana Díaz against state harassment in Colombia October 21, 2020 Find out more ColombiaAmericas Reports Organisation April 27, 2021 Find out more October 25, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for punishment of those responsible as police violence towards journalists growscenter_img Receive email alerts News RSF_en Help by sharing this information News 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America Follow the news on Colombia Ana Maria Garcia, a photographer with the Colombian newspaper El Tiempo, was assaulted by a police officer two days ago while she was covering the crash of a bus of the TransMilenio transit system north of Bogota. For no clear reason, the policeman threw her to the ground and overpowered her, injuring her right arm.The Bogota police chief, General Luis Eduardo Martinez, issued a public apology on behalf of the force, describing the incident as “deplorable and despicable” and said an investigation had been launched. He promised to make the results available by the 30 November at the latest.“We welcome the response of police chief Martinez and await the results of the investigation,” Reporters Without Borders said.“However, this unprovoked assault is just the latest in a series of abuses committed by the police in various parts of the country in the past few weeks, against the background of peace talks with FARC guerrillas and large-scale public protests. In each instance, the victim has made a complaint. As in the case of Ana Maria, the police need to carry out disciplinary investigations and punish those responsible as soon as possible.“The government has an obligation to guarantee freedom of information and the protection of journalists. The law on public safety should not be used as an excuse to prevent demonstrations, carry out arbitrary arrests or, even worse, assault journalists.” On 12 October, as a series of large-scale and peaceful protests known as the “Week of Indignation” was coming to an end, many journalists and human rights campaigners were the victims of police brutality. The Italian blogger Giorgio Sabaudo was filming several young activist groups marching from the capital’s Kennedy district to Bolivar Square when he and 37 other people were forced into a police vehicle. He was released about 4 p.m. after the intervention of the ombudsman. Ernesto Mercado, a journalist with the newspaper El Turbion, was reporting on a police crackdown on protesters in the Bosa district of the city when officers who were not displaying their obligatory identification numbers smashed his video camera and equipment with their batons. Guillermo Castro, a journalist with the website Macarenazoo, had his press card confiscated by law enforcement officers after he refused to hand over his recordings. The journalist Camilo Aguilera, a member of the Popular Media Center, was filming clashes in Bolivar Square, when he was hit in the face by a tear gas canister thrown by the police. He was taken to the Kennedy Hospital for treatment.Two days later, on 14 October, Jefferson Murillo, a 24-year-old photographer with the local station Cali TV, was hit by a shot fired by the police in the city of Cordoba. He was taken to hospital where he underwent surgery on a lung and his spleen. The journalist, who was on his day off, happened to witness an argument in the street between residents and police officers. Seeing that it was becoming heated, he started filming the scene on his cell phone.Ignoring warnings from one of the officers, he continued recording when three shots were fired and he fell to the ground, seriously wounded by one of the bullets.last_img read more

Probe launched into Co-op delistings and charges

first_imgGroceries Code Adjudicator Christine Tacon has started an investigation into the Co-operative Group over delistings and the introduction of quality control charges.Tacon said there was a “reasonable suspicion” that the retailer may have broken the Groceries Supply Code of Practice, and is calling on suppliers to submit evidence in the next two months so she can decide if this is the case and what further action to take.She added that the investigation was necessary to understand the extent to which the Code may have been broken, the causes of the issues and the impact on suppliers.In response, the Co-op Group said it acknowledged it had “fallen short”, adding that it had been “discussing the two issues raised with the Groceries Code Adjudicator (GCA) for some months”.The retailer said it had already taken steps to ensure fair treatment of all its suppliers, and had refunded £500,000 in charges (see below).The GCA’s investigation is to focus on two areas of the code:Paragraph 16: Duties in relation to delistingParagraph 3: Variation of supply agreements and terms of supply.When considering issues, the GCA will also be looking at Paragraph 2 of the Code: Principle of fair dealing.The GCA investigation will consider the scale and impact of practices that may have resulted in suppliers being delisted with no, or short, fixed-notice periods “without due consideration of published GCA delisting guidance”.While the focus of the investigation is a range reset called ‘Right Range; Right Store’, which took place between summer 2016 and summer 2017, it will not be limited to this.The investigation will also look at the introduction of charges to suppliers for depot quality control and benchmarking, especially to suppliers with fixed-cost contracts.The GCA will look at the retailer’s code-related training for its buyers and its culture.“I have previously escalated my concerns with the Co-op as part of my published collaborative approach,” said Tacon. “However, after carefully considering all the information submitted to me, I have decided an investigation is necessary, so I can fully understand the extent to which the code may have been broken and the root causes.“It is now important that suppliers provide me with information to help my investigation. I am looking forward to hearing what they have to say about whether they have experienced any of the issues now being investigated and, if so, the impact on them of the Co-op’s conduct. All information I receive will be treated with complete confidentiality.”Suppliers are asked to submit evidence by 4pm on 3 May 2018.The Co-op response:In a statement, the Co-op said it acknowledged that “we have fallen short and have been discussing the two issues raised with the GCA for some months. We have already taken decisive steps in line with our commitment to ensure the fair treatment of all of our suppliers.”The retailer said action had included:Steps to strengthen its systems and processesRetraining of 450 commercial staff in the operation of the Groceries Supply Code of PracticeWriting to 1,500 direct suppliers to seek information on delisting decisions they believe may have been taken without appropriate consultation. A small number of suppliers have raised concerns.Reviewing all cases where a supplier was charged for benchmarking and quality control. As a result, 110 suppliers have been refunded a total of approximately £500,000. “We care deeply about our relationships with our suppliers and we are very sorry that, in these two areas, we have failed to live up to our usual high standards,” said Jo Whitfield, CEO of Co-op Food.“We are already addressing the issues with the GCA and our suppliers and we hope the investigation will help bring to light any additional cases, so that we can put these right as quickly as possible.”last_img read more

Why credit unions should keep an eye on blockchain technology

first_imgThe time has come to explore technological innovation constructively and openly discuss its potential applications. In part one, we took the complex relationship between bitcoin and the blockchain and it put in the simplest terms possible. While bitcoin is an incredible innovation, it’s uses are rather limited. All of the attention from big financial institutions is focused on the technology that allows bitcoin to work, the blockchain.Money SavingThe elegance of the blockchain comes from how it removes the need for a central authority to verify trust and complete a transaction. The innate quality of the open network allows for accurate and near instantaneous payment processing. Because of how the distributed ledger works experts believe it has the potential to save both consumers and credit unions billions by cutting out inefficient banking intermediaries. Of course having unknown entities participating in transaction verification poses security questions, leading to the next point.SecurityA consortium of 42 of the world’s largest financial institutions including JPMorgan, UBS, Goldman Sachs, and Barclays, have been investing in ventures developing private, or permissioned, blockchains. While the default permissionless chain is comprised of a full network of computers who all get a full ledger of the transaction, permissioned blockchains will be setup to be used on private network where only trusted parties maintain the ledger. Keeping all of the money and time saving efficiency without sacrificing privacy.Record KeepingIn the blockchain all transactions are automatically logged including info on: time, date, participants, and amount of every transaction. Since every transaction is shared and thousands of nodes have to unanimously agree a transaction has indeed occurred, it’s almost like there is a notary present at every transaction.Not just moneyThe most common mistake is assuming that blockchain is only used for bitcoins, but just as the blockchain records where a bitcoin is at any given moment, and thus who owns it, so can it be used to record the ownership of any asset and then to trade ownership. This has huge future implications on the way all financial assets such as stocks and bonds are registered and traded.All in all, it is too early to know the extent of all possible uses of blockchain technology as even developers admit many features still lay dormant. While we can’t all have our feet in the water investing and testing this technology, there a few things to be aware of: Blockchain hype will not die and it has the potential to disrupt everything.If you missed part one that included a simple explanation of how these digital technologies work, you can find it here. 150SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr,Tyler Atwell Web: www.cuinsight.com Detailslast_img read more

Semenya joins South African club

first_imgRelatedPosts Akpeyi’s South African club gets new coach Ex-IAAF boss bags two-year jail term South African runner Semenya defiant after court ruling Caster Semenya appears to be preparing for a career outside of athletics after joining a women’s football club. The 28-year-old is currently appealing against a decision by the Court of Arbitration for Sport which approved the IAAF’s introduction of a new testosterone limit for female athletes. Semenya is unable to defend her 800m world title in Doha later this month without taking hormone-suppressing drugs, something she has refused to do. At the time of CAS’ ruling, Semenya said: “I am very disappointed to be kept from defending my hard-earned title.” She would have needed to take medication to comply with the IAAF’s rules on athletes with differences of sexual development. And the South African has started training with Gauteng-based women’s football club JVW with a view to making her debut next season as the transfer window is currently closed. “I am grateful for this opportunity and I appreciate the love and support I already get from the team,” she told the club’s website. “I am looking forward to this new journey, and hopefully I can contribute as much as I can to the club.” Club founder and South Africa captain Janine Van Wyk said: “I am absolutely honoured that out of all the other women’s clubs around the world, she has chosen JVW as the club where she would like to start showcasing her football skills. “I welcomed her at her first training (session) with the team on Tuesday and was impressed to see that she definitely has all the fundamentals.” JVW compete at the highest level of women’s football in South Africa, the Sasol League. In 2016, the club enjoyed a record breaking season, defeating the likes of Mamelodi Sundowns, Palace Super Falcons and Croesus Ladies for the first time since the club’s inception. That season they won the Gauteng Sasol League, defeating TUKS Ladies 6-0 in the Provincial Playoff final.Tags: Caster SemenyaDohaIAAFSouth Africalast_img read more