Independent weekly suspended for three months

first_img RwandaAfrica April 6, 2020 Find out more News Organisation November 27, 2020 Find out more News Follow the news on Rwanda Reporters Without Borders firmly condemns the High Media Council’s decision on 5 August to ask the information ministry to close the independent weekly Umuseso for three months for likening the current government to the one that was in power in the run-up to the 1994 genocide.“The already limited space for expressing opinions is shrinking away in this country without press freedom,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Umuseso’s temporary closure, coming after the suspension of the BBC’s Kinyarwanda-language broadcasts, will restrict Rwandan’s access to news and information even more.”The press freedom organisation added: “Will next year’s presidential election be free and fair if all the media that are the least bit independent and critical have been suppressed or gagged?”The offending article, published in Umuseso’s 20-27 July issue, compared President Paul Kagame’s government to that of Juvénal Habyarimana, who was president immediately prior to the genocide. Its headline was: “Impanga? Kagame arusha Habyarimana ikoranabuhanga mu gitugu gusa” (Twins? Kagame is like Habyarimana – it’s the same dictatorship, only with technology as well). The comparison is an outrageous one in the eyes of the current government, which accused Habyarimana of planning the genocide while Kagame’s Rwandan Patriotic Front (FPR), now the ruling party, brought it to an end.“I am not surprised by this decision as this newspaper is President Kagame’s bugbear,” said a Congolese journalist based on the opposite bank of Lake Kivu in the Congolese city of Bukavu. “Kagame doesn’t even like hearing its name mentioned,” he added, speaking on condition of anonymity.A communiqué issued by the High Media Council (HCM), which has the job of regulating the media, accused Umuseso of “insulting the president… sowing confusion in the population… spreading rumours… defamation… and excessive sensationalism.” It was signed by the council’s president, Dr Vénuste Karambizi.Warned that the weekly was about to be suspended, Reporters Without Borders called the HCM two hours before the news conference at which the decision was announced and spoke to its executive secretary, Patrice Mulama, expressing its disapproval. Since then, Mulama has not been reachable.Information minister Louise Mushikiwabo had warned at a joint news conference with President Kagame on 27 July that Umuseso and another weekly, Umuvugizi, risked being closed because they had not “changed their behaviour since we put them in quarantine.”Media “self-regulatory” organisations that support the government had summoned Umuseso editor Didas Gasana and Umuvugizi editor Jean-Bosco Gasasira on 31 July to admonish them about their recent coverage of an alleged sex scandal involving the Kigali state prosecutor. BBC Africa’s “disproportionate and dangerous” dismissal of a journalist Receive email alerts Newscenter_img Reports to go further RSF_en Help by sharing this information The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa RwandaAfrica Covid-19 in Africa: RSF joins a coalition of civil society organizations to demand the release of imprisoned journalists on the continent August 7, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Independent weekly suspended for three months February 13, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Journalists targeted by police violence, arrests

first_img January 22, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prison Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution News EgyptMiddle East – North Africa Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff News Receive email alerts News Follow the news on Egypt Reporters Without Borders roundly condemns police use violence against journalists covering Egypt’s street protests. It is hard to establish exactly how many journalists have been arrested or physically attacked by police officers in the past 48 hours. According to the latest information obtained by Reporters Without Borders, more than a dozen journalists have been arrested.We urge the Egyptian authorities to allow journalists to work without fear of being arrested or attacked by those who are supposed to protect them. We also call for the immediate release of all the media workers still being held and an end to the blocking of communications. It is essential for the Egyptian people to have access to reliable information about the events of the past few days. News Reporters Without Borders reminds the Egyptian authorities that the United States has urged them not to disrupt online social networks. US secretary of state Hillary Clinton also voiced concern about the arrests of journalists. France has called on Egypt to respect civil liberties including freedom of expression.Here are details of some of the cases of arrests or attacks on journalists:- Daily News reporter Mohamed Effat was arrested at around 6 p.m. yesterday and was taken to the Qasr el-Nil police station. He was then transferred to the Nasr City police station.- Despite having press cards issued by the Egyptian authorities, Associated Press Television News cameraman Haridi Hussein and his assistant, Haitham Badry, were arrested at about 1 a.m. yesterday while filming clashes between protesters and police. They were released this morning.- AP photographer Nasser Gamal Nasser was covering protests on the evening of 25 January when he struck in the face by a stone thrown by a policeman. His right cheekbone was fractured and his camera was broken.- Guardian reporter Jack Shenker was detained after being beaten by plain-clothes policemen while covering demonstrations on the evening of 25 January (read his account: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/27/egypt-riot-security-force-action?&).- Three journalists with the daily Ash-Shourouq – Ahmed Bihnassawi, Ahmed Abdel Latif and Imen Hilal – were roughed up by police officers on the evening of 25 January. Bihnassawi was hit on the head by a policeman who confiscated his camera. Hilal was attacked by a police officer while covering the protests outside the headquarters of the company Sidnawi. The policeman hit him in the face and smashed his photographic equipment.- Amru Salaheddin, a photographer with the opposition daily Al-Wafd, was arrested today. So too were Ibrahim Mamdouh Siam of Radio Horytna, Samuel Al-Ashy of Reuters and Abdel Rahman Izz ad-Din Imam of Al-Doustour. The police today also arrested Sami Al-Belchy, the deputy editor of the magazine Al-Idhaa wa Al-Tilfaza, Sherif Arif, the deputy editor of Al-Ahrar, and two members of the Journalists’ Syndicate, Mohamed Abdul Quddus and Karim Mahmoud.Facebook and Twitter are reportedly being blocked intermittently. Telephone communications were blocked today in Suez and the surrounding area because of the many protests being organized in response to the death of three demonstrators in yesterday’s clashes in this port city. February 6, 2021 Find out more Organisation EgyptMiddle East – North Africa RSF_en February 1, 2021 Find out more to go further January 28, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalists targeted by police violence, arrestslast_img read more